As a father, this story is particularly worrisome to me. After a new marcellus site popped up 1,500 ft. from the playground at my 20 month-old’s daycare I called the Rex Energy Cranberry office to ask about protocol for notifying the center before any flaring took place or if anything went wrong at the site. I also asked if there was any training that the staff could receive so than they would be more aware of early warning signs in children in the case of exposure to airborne toxins. I was given Derek Smith’s number and told he was the regional safety officer. I left him a few voicemails and received no response.
About a week later a woman from the State College office called and wanted to know what my “problem” was.